Families with children
Whitelee Windfarm is a great place for the whole family to enjoy the great outdoors. Our turbine trails are largely traffic free so children can explore with confidence and bikes are welcome!
We also ask that you follow some simple guidelines:
- Before heading to the windfarm, make sure you are fully prepared. Bring warm, water proof clothing and make sure you have some snacks with you if you are venturing out on site.
- As a windy site, the heat of the sun is often not felt at Whitelee – make sure you bring and apply sun cream if heading out on site on a sunny day. Also, make sure you take water and keep yourself hydrated.
- The ground conditions at Whitelee are soft and boggy so we ask that you stick to the trails at all times and ensure children are fully supervised and do not venture off the tracks.
- Whitelee is popular with cyclists of all abilities and we ask that if bringing bikes, children are always supervised and only ride in areas and conditions that suit their abilities. There are some steep inclines and declines, coupled with areas of loose stone and small pot holes, that may catch some riders off guard – please ensure you take appropriate care.
- The wind turbines are spaced surprisingly far apart. Make sure you plan a route that everyone in you group will be able to manage. Please ask in the Visitor Centre for ideas before heading out on site.