Ever wondered how a typical wind turbine works?
Although there are many different types of turbines, they are all made from very similar parts. Have a read below to discover how turbines and all of their different components work.
1. The blade twists in the hub so that it can adjust to different wind speeds.
2. The hub connects the blades to the main tower.
3. The main section turns with the blades and hub and takes the power to the gearbox.
4. The generator takes the mechanical energy from the rotating section and converts it into electrical energy.
5. The gearbox takes the slow rotation of the main section and increases the speed about 90 times for the generator.
6. Weather instruments include a wind vane to sense the wind direction. This allows the turbine to be turned to face into the wind.